Friday 25 January 2013

Bubble Wrap and Airbags



Mercy. Anyone know where I can buy Loreal Excellence in bulk? 

My youngest daughter, Mia, is walking on air, and I’m walking on pins and needles.

She got her learner’s license this past week. I got a whole new patch of grey.

Four years ago I went through this with her older sister and knew the day would come when I would have both of them on the road. Somehow I thought it would be easier the second time around. Not so.

Now my anxiety is doubled as I wait in a state of stupor, exhausted but keenly listening to hear the tell-tale sound of the garage door opening. They love to take the car and do late night coffee drive throughs. What fun . . . for them.

If you recall, I am a tad bit overprotective. A few months before Tia got her license I went on the search for a car equipped with the most airbags I could afford.  (An airbag is an occupant restraint system consisting of a flexible fabric envelope or cushion designed to inflate rapidly during an accident - see blog below on bubble wrap and you’ll see a pattern here).

Several car lots, and a half a dozen salesmen later, I arrived home with a shiny red Rondo which boasts twelve different restraining systems. Mia promptly climbed on the roof and secured a pink crown to the antennae, marking it as their own.

Four years and two drivers later, I realize that I was duped into putting my trust in technology instead of the Creator of force and nature. That I should have trusted in Him rather than inflatable cushions. I have since confessed and repented from my dependency on bubble wrap and am currently working on setting up a support group to see me through recovery.

In the meantime, instead of staying up late at night waiting for my girls to come home, I commit them to the Lord and roll over. And, He who sits in the heavens and laughs chuckles I’m sure as I pray:

Lord, watch over your princesses, Tia and Mia,
As they drive their little crowned Kia,
Out far too late I fear-ah,
Along with their little friend, Leah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment